We are entering a new, scary time in our family….dealing with public school and public school systems. D will be 3 in a few weeks. Back in October, he had his evaluation for public preschool. In Kentucky, you have to qualify in one area for a special need in order to qualify for public preschool and additional support services.
I was extremely disappointed in the way his evaluation was conducted. I was originally told it would be a 1.5 hour session, and we would need to come back to complete the other half. It turned into an almost 4 hour ordeal in which my 2 year 9 month old had assessments for OT, Speech, PT, and an IQ/Psychological evaluation.
The school psychologist was late, and so OT, Speech and PT were first. By the time he got to the final portion he was exhausted, and it was lunchtime. Why did I let it go on? I don’t really have an answer for that. I think partly, it’s because so many of our (his dad & I) concerns for him have dealt with gross and fine motor issues.
Today, I received an IQ report that says he is mildly delayed and low below average, but not enough to qualify for services. That his score will probably impact him during his school age years, but not severely.
I just don’t see this. And his Early Intervention lead was in the meeting and agrees with me. So then my husband asked the best series of questions, how does this report impact him? Where is it stored? Who can access it? Do they need our permission?
I don’t really care about D’s IQ. I think standardized tests can be a tool, but for the most part it is just a snapshot of that day and how the person was performing.
We just want to help him the best we can. We are concerned that we have focused too much on motor and not enough on cognitive. And then I think that’s the preemie parent in us. We’re always searching for answers that aren’t there. We’re always wondering what we may have done wrong.
We just want to make sure we give him every opportunity to be the Drake he wants to be. That’s enough for us.
It’s been a rough week. Yesterday, we got some scary news at Ophthalmology follow up, too. Eye doc saw something very concerning, but D won’t be big enough for the pictures to fully diagnose and check it out until next year. I wish I didn’t even know about it. I need to find some new coping mechanisms for staying out of anxiety loops.